Homai Special Formats Library now has a Facebook page! Log in to your Facebook account and with a quick search you will find us.
This is a great way to keep up to date with anything and everything that is happening in the library. There are also links to other great resources. Come and check it out!
Jane Wells, Matthew Jury-Thompson, Lucy Smith, Neil Jarvis
On Thursday 21 June the James Cook High Satellite Class of high school students who are blind or have low vision received a surprise visit from Neil Jarvis, Executive Director, Access and Innovation, RNZFB, Lucy Smith, Head Librarian, Homai Special Formats Library and Jane Wells, Principal BLENNZ.
The visit to the Satellite Class was to present Matthew with some fabulous iPad accessories. The presentation was in recognition of the technical support Matthew gives to the Homai Library after school and during the Technology Expo held earlier in the term.
Matthew was thrilled to receive the keyboard attachment for his iPad. Well done Matthew your peers and teachers are very proud of you.
The Homai Special Formats Library is a national library service for children and young adult readers. It is based at BLENNZ Homai Campus School and is administered by the Blind Foundation.
The Library’s collections include:
- Collage books: sturdy, hard-covered picture books with large print and braille text and bright, bold collage illustrations.
- Braille books: fiction, non-fiction and textbooks.
- Twin vision picture books: with clear plastic braille over the original print or with clear plastic braille pages inserted between the original print pages. Some are also available with an accompanying CD.
- Large print books in 18 and 24 point font: mostly fiction for ages 9 to 16. We also have a growing non-fiction and textbook collection.
- Kitsets with enclosed print book with accompanying CD and braille text.
- Electronic files (Etext) available in Word, HTML and Plain text.
- Playaway pre-recorded MP3 players.
- DAISY books (only available to members of the Blind Foundation).
Titles in these collections can be searched for on the Blind Foundation Library catalogue by choosing Homai Special Formats Library from the drop down menu under ‘Filter by’.
The Blind Foundation has partnered with Bookshare to make more than 40,000 electronic books available to our members to download. Bookshare is an American online accessible digital library for print disabled readers.
Library opening hours
- Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 4.30pm, including school holidays.
- You can phone us on (09) 266-7109 Ext 2703 or (09) 268-3215.
- Email: email@example.com
- Postal Address: Homai Special Formats Library, c/- BLENNZ, Homai Campus, 2 McVilly Road, Private Bag 75801, Manurewa, Manukau 2102.