In March 2014 we had a visit from the National Assessment Service (NAS). They used rooms at the Forsyth Barr stadium and over the course of three days 16 children were assessed by a variety of specialists.
The visit was valuable as it:
- Made assessment much easier for children with health issues and families with work committments.
- Allowed families to mix and mingle whilst waiting for their assessments so parents and whanau could have valuable discussions around their child and share their stories.
- Provided valuable information for us around the children being assessed and an ability to have discussions around ways forward ‘on the spot’.
- Connected local MoE Special Education therapists with NAS therapists.
- Reinforced that we are a National Service and not specifically based in Auckland.